The Ministry of Human Resources & Emiratization announced a new work permit for teens between 15 and 18 years. It gives a wide range of opportunities for the teens of the UAE to get themselves into the world of the workforce, provided they continue to pursue education.
UAE, with a total population of around 10 million, the teens between 15 and 18 occupy a quarter of a million. By utilizing the demographics, it could benefit both the government and the teens. They can get freelancing jobs, part-time jobs, or internships in their field of interest. It will also ensure job security for teenagers when the existing visa rules make it impossible to get a job before university age.
Also, to safeguard the teens and prevent exploitation, the MOHRE has put in mandatory requirements to get the work permits.
Documents required to apply
- Valid passport copy of the applicant (teen).
- Valid residence visa copy.
- Parents/Guardian’s valid passport copy and residence visa copy
- Written consent from the applicant’s parent/guardian.
- A color photograph of the applicant with a white background
- Application copy
- Contract copy
- Applicant’s valid fitness certificate issued by a competent health official.
- Applicant’s parents/guardians must have given their approval.
- The applicant must be medically fit.
- The applicant should be above 15 years and under 18 years.
- The foreign applicant and their resident must have a valid residence visa.
The permit’s validity is one year, and few terms & conditions for the employers are as follows:
- The employers should not assign works mentioned in the ministerial decree No.1189 of 2010 to the applicants.
- The employer submitting the applicant’s application must have a valid license for their establishment. It should be free of any violations.
- The employer shall have an e-signature card at the ministry.
They can work only for 6 hours a day with one or more work in a total of 1 hour a day. They cannot overtime and work on holidays. As per UAE labor law, they cannot be applied for night shifts in industrial enterprises and mustn’t be hired for hazardous or strenuous jobs.
The process for companies to apply for a juvenile work permit
Applications must be processed via Tas’heel service centers. Then visit the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation website to print the approval notice. The centers are open from Saturday to Thursday between 8 am and 8 pm. For inquiries on call, connect on 80060 for 24*7 days.
It will take around 100 DHS for the employers to apply for an electronic work permit. They will then have to pay 500 DHS once the approval is done. And the entire process will not take more than a day.
This new work permit initiative by the UAE government would boost the teens’ involvement in the nation’s economy. It could help them have a clearer perspective about the future and be more responsible fiscally and individually.