African dining hall Alkebulan at the Expo 2020 Dubai, hopes to showcase African food and culture through a series of pavilions serving bespoke dishes to customers.
Alkebulan is the oldest historically recorded name for Africa. It loosely translates to ‘Mother of Mankind’, afterall many consider Afrika to be the cradle of civilization. Alkebulan will be led by opera singer-turned-restaurateur Alexander Smalls and seven other acclaimed chefs.
Some of the other well known chefs that will be at Alkebulan include:
- Chef Coco
- Chef Glory Kabe
- Chef Pierre Siewe
- Chef Davisha
- Chef Moos Gbane
- Chef Kiran Jethwa
- Chef Mame Sow
Alkebulan pavilions is designed to showcase contemporary African food and music from across the continent. Each counter and concept will have its own distinct design that will honour the individuality of the region, the cuisine, and the chef working painstakingly behind it.
Alexander Smalls rightfully believes that African food is as diverse as the continent’s countries and communities, yet it is still under-represented in the world. Bringing a piece of Africa to Expo 2020 is not only a dream come true for him but also an opportunity to showcase the rich diversity that makes African cuisine unique from region to region.
“Food and music are both instrumental to our culture, and Alkebulan is a place that marries the two, welcoming visitors from around the world to be immersed in our flavours and traditions.”, said Alexander. It is clear that Alkebulan could not have been the brainchild of anyone other than Alexander, because this opera singer-turned-restaurateur has ensured that the focus will be on the food and the music of the regions of Africa.
Ten counters of African dining hall will be highlighting the different aspects of African culinary traditions:
- Afro Street Eatery by Coco will be Highlighting the flavours of West African street food.
- Bar Cane, also by Coco, will serve doughnuts and dessert-inspired mixed drinks.
- Chicken Coop by Alexander Smalls will be dishing out both rotisserie and fried chicken.
- Choma BBQ, a Reinarhz creation, will be showcasing the art of roasting, grilling, and smoking meats.
- Jiko Cocktails by Tribe Hotel Kenya. led by talented bartender Kelvin Thaiya is promising to bring the flavours of Africa together through inventive cocktails and other mixed drinks.
- Penja by pop-up chefs Pierre Siewe, Glory Kabe and Moos Gbane, will be serving dishes like farm cockerel breaded with mustard and tapioca.
- Seven Seafood by celebrity chef Kiran Jethwa will be showcasing contemporary East African seafood.
- Shoebox Bakery by Mame Sow will prove to be a pan-African bakery haven.
- Sweet Ophelia’s, another concept from Alexander Smalls, will be an Afro-Asian fusion wok bar. It will be serving rice, noodle and dumpling dishes.
- The Tasty Goat by Chef Kiran Jethwa will be showcased in a nose-to-tail dining.
So, that is all about Alkebulan and what all it has to offer you. Want to know where else you can dine at Expo 2020? Well we have the right link for you!