The first-ever Spartan World Championship is to be conducted outside the US. It was earlier scheduled for December 4-5, 2020. The host postponed it due to the pandemic situation. The wait is over, and the trail is scheduled for the first weekend of December 2021.
And you know the best part? The Abu Dhabi Sports Council is going to host this event in Moreeb Dunes, Liwa Desert.
Moreeb Dunes is located 250km southwest of the excursionist hotspot Abu Dhabi. It is famous for its drag race competitions. The visually intoxicating and culturally rich Moreeb Dune is one of the highest sand hills in the World. The 1600m long dune is the perfect adventure venue for hosting the Spartan Trails.
The event aims to create a one-of-a-kind experience for the participants. The 2021 trail will have a ‘Spartan Village’ in the desert oasis to accommodate the racers. You can sleep under the open sky gazing at the stars. The Abu Dhabi Sports Council has also planned festivities to highlight the local tradition and flavor. It includes cultural demonstrations, local fares, and dune buggies on the Moreeb Dunes.
The village is designed to motivate fellow Spartans to socialize and bond with each other. The racers will have the choice to select between a traditional bedouin tent and a standard tent. Bringing their own tent is also allowed.
For those who prefer hotel accommodations, arrangements will be made. You’ll be accommodated at Abu Dhabi hotel properties. It includes a pre-scheduled 3.5 hours shuttle bus to bring you to the venue.
There are two races scheduled on December 4.
1) The Spartan Trail 50K: This event is more suitable for seasoned trail runners. It starts at 12 pm.
2) Spartan Trail Half Marathon: 21K event. This second event is a classic zero-obstacle trail race. Your grit will be tested at every moment in this trail. Overcoming them would lead you to the largest prize purse in the World. It starts at 12.30 pm.
The 21K event Do’s and Don’ts
- A bunch of precautions and what to do terms are mentioned on the site.
- Stay up-to-date about Abu Dhabi’s travel restrictions and guidelines.
- Check out the website for more instructions on what to wear, what to bring, and what not to.
- Pets are not allowed. If you have a support animal, you should bring the ID to register.
It is advised to come to the location a good hour and a half before the event starts. It should give you ample time to register, go over the safety precautions, warm-up, and prepare for the race.
Since it is the first time the event is hosted outside the US, it presents an excellent opportunity.
Participate and experience this Spartan Adventure and bond with fellow Spartans. Do share the article with your friends who are trail enthusiasts. Do express your opinion in the comments section below.