With the wild coronavirus disrupting the daily lives of people the issues of mental and physical health is of more concern than ever. Along with the virus, the rising temperature makes it quite impossible for people to do outdoor activities. To re-engage people in physical activities and to provide mental relief, the Dubai Sports Council (DSC) has teamed up with the Japanese sports drink giant Pocari Sweat to organize a virtual run on July 3.
Named the Pocari Sweat 10K Run, the event will be open to every member of the household of any ages and abilities from across the world. People will have to keep the Dubai time, from 12:01am to 11:59pm on July 3 to be able to participate in the event. Also it is absolutely free for everyone to register through DSC’s official website until 11:59pm of July1.
The participants can choose from five categories – Male and Female for 5km, Male and Female for 10km and People of Determination for 5km. They can make use of their indoor space, smart or traditional treadmills and even outdoor areas with proper permission from the authority. The main attraction of the event will be the amazing prizes for the top three finishers in each of the aforementioned categories. There will also be a special prize for the person who designs the best course for his or her run.
How to take part in Pocari Sweat 10K Run
- Open DSC official website (https://www.dubaisc.ae/POCARISWEAT10KRUN) and register using personal details.
- Download DSC official app which is available on both Android and Apple platforms.
- Sign in with the same credentials entered in DSC official website.
- Log in to the app on the race day, click on “Start Pocari Sweat Challenge”
- Users will be taken to the “Smart Health – Running” screen, which will show details as the distance, speed and calories burnt.
- Click on start and make sure to have the device on person while running. The application then detects the user’s body movements through different sensors on the devices to calculate speed and distance.
- The run should be completed in one stretch for both 10km and 5km and the app will notify users once the target is achieved.
- Total time taken and calories burnt will be displayed on an activity summary screen.
- Click on the Save button to save the activity without fail. The app will then compare performances of every participant on the leader board.
- Users should the upload a photo or screenshot of the result to their Instagram page and tag #PocariSweat10KRun. Make sure to keep the account setting public so that the organisers can see their participation entry. In case the participants do not have an Instagram page, email the same to the organizers and they will upload it. The cut-off time for the uploading process will be midnight on the run day.
- For eligibility for the ‘Best Course’ design, participants should make a video of the course, explain it or draw it and upload it to their Instagram page tagging #PocariSweat10KRun.