Pasta lovers, may I present to you, the Egyptian version of Pastitsio. One of life’s true pleasures, comfort food that only pasta lovers will appreciate.
Layers of pasta and – a little tangy – ground chicken stacked together then topped with thick, brown, and bubbly bechamel sauce that is not runny but not dry too. What else can you look for?!!. This is a very common dish in Egyptian banquets, especially on holidays.
- A pack of pasta
- 4 cups of milk
- Cream cup
- 1/2 cup mozzarella
- One onion, chopped
- 3/4 kilo issuance chicken cut into slices
- 4 tablespoons of rusk
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- A tablespoon of starch
- Black pepper
How to prepare
- To make the bechamel, melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and starch and stir well for 5 minutes.
- Add the milk gradually and keep stirring.
- After the consistency becomes thick, add salt and pepper and stir a little.
- To prepare the pasta, in a saucepan, boil the pasta half-boiled.
- Drain the pasta and set aside.
- In another saucepan, put a little oil, garlic, and stir.
- Add the chicken and stir until it is completely cooked, then season with salt and pepper.
- In a tray, put a number of boiled noodles, add a cup of bechamel, and stir well.
- Add a layer of chicken, then a little bechamel, then a layer of pasta.
- Top with béchamel, then cream and mozzarella, and sprinkle with rusk.
- Place the pasta tray with bechamel in the oven until browned, then serve.