The tell-tales of dark spots or sun spots have a way for the uneven complexion. A couple of dark spots can be overlooked but if you notice a whole family that has settled permanently on your face or hands, you know you have a long way to go.
Although dark spots cause you no harm, some people choose to get rid of them for cosmetic purposes. So, the sooner you start working on them, the less intervention will be needed later. In this article, we are going to inform you about the causes of dark spots, how you can remove those using different ways and what to do to prevent dark spots.
What Causes Dark Spots?
Dark Spots or Age Spots are caused due to intense sun exposure for a long time or when Melanin, the substance responsible for the color of skin, eyes, and hair, gets produced in certain parts of the body in huge amounts. When melanin is produced in an excessive amount it gets clumped up in one area which causes discoloration of the skin.
Dark spots are of the same texture as the skin and are not painful. For people with dark skin, a spot that is darker than the skin color generally fades within a few months. Deeper coloration can take up several years to fade. Common causes of dark spots apart from excessive melanin secretion are; Sun damage, hormonal changes, medication side effects, inflammation, wound healing, and diabetes.
Some of the Most Effective Dark Spots Corrector (Over the Counter Products)
C E Ferulic by SkinCeuticals- Check It On Amazon
This is one of the best products to use for dark spots and for brightening the skin. CE Ferulic contains a mixture of ferulic acid and Vitamin C which is the topmost ingredient for making the skin lighter. It is easily found in any drug store or online and is very effective. The product is not very cheap but worth every penny.
Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair- Check It On Amazon
The Neutrogena Rapid Tone Repair Serum consists of Retinol SA- a sun-safe retinoid, Vitamin C, and Hyaluronic acid to help rejuvenate the skin and make it look younger looking. It rejuvenates the skin, brightens it, and corrects the skin discoloration. Hyaluronic acid is a natural hydrator found in the skin which attracts moisture and locks it in. The Rapid Tone Repair is gentle and can be used for all skin types and it is budget-friendly too. Transform dry and discolored skin into a hydrated spotless finish.
Roc Multi-Correction 5-in-1 Daily Moisturizer- Check It On Amazon
A multi-action face cream at an affordable rate, what else do we want? RoC’s multi corrector is powered by Hexyl -R Complex which fights from the 5 key signs of aging and the induced SPF 30 protect the skin from harmful UV rays. The solution can be used as a daily moisturizer and get that brightened, spotless and firm tone of the skin in just 4 weeks. Not just the dark spots, the formula is dermatologically tested to prevent skin from fine lines, dark circles, crow’s feet, uneven skin tone, and dry skin. Use this daily moisturizer for its light consistency and proven results with an added advantage of SPF 30.
Lytera 2.0 Pigment Correcting Serum by SkinMedica- Check It On Amazon
A miracle worker when it comes to dark spots and discoloration of the skin. Lytera 2.0 is a pigment correcting serum, free from hydroquinone, paraben, retinol-free, and fragrance-free. Made with expertise, it helps in fighting the most stubborn dark spots on the face and prevents discoloration, regardless of the skin type or genetic makeup. Dermatologically tested and positively reviewed by many users, the serum should be applied on the skin twice daily along with a sunscreen of at least 20 or above.
Kiehl’s Corrective Dark Spot Solution- Check It On Amazon
Corrective Dark Spot Solution is another one of our favorites for its proven results to treat skin discoloration and hyper pigmentation. It is formulated with White Birch, activated C, and Peony extract to correct and even the appearance of the skin and reduces the dark spots and fine lines to make the skin look younger. With continual usage, the corrector also lightens and brightens the skin and helps to treat the problem areas at quite an affordable rate.
Some Other Methods of Treating Dark Spots
- Laser Treatment: There are a variety of laser treatments available to remove dark spots. The most common of them is the pulse light laser which acts on melanin and breaks the dark spots.
- Microdermabrasion: During the procedure of microdermabrasion, the dermatologist makes use of a special device with an abrasive surface and removes the outermost layer of the skin. This helps in the development and growth of new collagen which reduces the dark spots.
- Chemical Peels: A chemical peel is just like the face mask we use at home but is more advanced and uses some skin-friendly chemicals to be used on the skin. A chemical peel solution is applied to the skin, which exfoliates it and leads to the growth of new skin tissues. After a certain amount of time and application, the dark spots start to fade away.
- Cryotherapy: Cryotherapy is a rather expensive treatment and requires expertise. It is a procedure that involves the application of liquid nitrogen in the areas of dark spots or dark patches on the skin and freezes them which injures the skin cells. The healing procedure takes some time but the skin turns lighter afterward.
- Micro-needling: Micro-needling is one of the most effective procedures of all treatments for dark spots. It does not use any chemicals and relies on the skin to heal on its own. Micro-needling uses a kind of pen injected with small tiny needles in equidistance. The pen is punctured into the skin at different spots which create micro channels. The outer layer of the skin gets injured and the skin is compelled to heal itself which forms a new rejuvenated layer free of any dark spots.
- Prescription Skin Lightening Creams: Prescribed – lightening cream has a certain amount of bleach in it which lightens the skin. It takes some time as compared to other treatments to make the dark patches fade away or to make them lighter.
Hydroquinone is a common ingredient found in these types of prescribed creams, which prevents the production of excessive melanin on the skin. Prescription creams have strength of about 3-4 percent.
Skin lightening creams in the form of injections are also available, but the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) do not give their recommendation because of lack of evidence of their successful results and they can have some negative side effects.
Onion Juice: An Excellent and Simple Home Remedy for Treating Dark Spots
Onion is one of the most important elements in the kitchen and is used in almost every dish possible because of its distinct taste and flavor and many health benefits such as increasing immunity, improving digestion, etc. But how many people know that onion can also be used for skincare purposes?
Using onion juice on your skin can help restore the elasticity of the skin and protect it from wrinkles. The dreaded dark spots can also be erased using onion juice, thanks to the natural acids in onions. The juice of the onion has skin-whitening properties that help in lightening the skin color and thus eliminating dark spots and pigmentation.
Here we are going to give you a recipe for an onion juice mask that works wonders on the skin by renewing the skin cells, making it more glowing, and gives you spotless skin by eliminating dark spots.
Onion Juice Mask
- Small onion
- Peel off the onion and grate it nicely. Then put it in a clean cloth and extract all the juice out of it.
- Take a clean cotton ball and dip it into the juice. Apply it thoroughly on your face and neck and all the other affected areas.
- Leave it for 20 minutes and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Apply this mask 3-4 times a week for better results.
You can prepare the mask in another way also.
- Take one tablespoon of onion juice and one teaspoon of honey. Mix them nicely.
- Apply the mixture for 20 minutes in all the affected areas.
- You can replace honey with apple cider vinegar if you have very oily skin.
You can use the leftover onion juice on your scalp for healthy air growth or if you are having hair fall. The onion juice makes the roots stronger and prevents them from falling.
How to Prevent Dark Spots?
Although, it is not always possible to prevent dark spots from occurring, for example developing melasma after pregnancy due to hormonal changes is not preventable. However, there are a few preventive techniques people can use to avoid or decrease the chances of having dark spots or prevent them from getting darker.
- Always use a sunscreen of SPF 30 at least when you go out even if the sun is not too bright or even you are staying at home.
- Wear sunglasses and a broad-brimmed hat whenever possible in the sunlight.
- Treat acne properly or else it may leave a scar or lead to inflammation.
- Try avoiding the sun from 10 to 4 during the day when it is the strongest and UV rays are high.
Dark spots are a common problem faced by both men and women. Although their appearance does not cause any pain, the sight of them on the face and other visible parts of the body is not welcoming. The above-mentioned remedies and treatments, whether home remedies or prescribed creams, dermatological treatments, or over-the-counter creams are all worth giving a try. But make sure you consult a dermatologist before buying any over-the-counter cream or going for any treatment because they may leave you with bad side effects. Hope you found this information fruitful and we wish you glowing skin.