All humans do not remember some things continuously, memory such as where you left the keys to the house or the car or even your boss at work! Don’t worry, you are not alone.
However, you should not deal lightly with forgetting things and learn about methods and how to strengthen memory.
Although there is no direct way to guarantee memory and not to forget things, there are many methods that help in strengthening memory and improving its performance.
Adequate sleep is an essential reason to enhance memory
- Sleep plays an important role in resting the brain and strengthening memory, and it helps in arranging, gathering and arranging all the information that occurred during the day, including the things that are needed tomorrow, memories, and others.
- Make sleeping for the right hours a priority that you don’t give up. The number of appropriate sleep hours varies from person to person, but on average it is between 7-8 hours a day.
Improve the quality of food
- Clean and healthy food has very positive results in strengthening memory and also for your heart. Rely on mixing in lots of vegetables, fruits and whole grains.
- Choose foods that are low in fat and at the same time high in protein, such as fish, red meat and grilled chicken breast.
- Also, what you drink greatly affects your body and thus memory performance. Failure to drink enough water every day causes problems that can lead to dehydration that affects the brain functions, which consist of 75% of water!
Add the element of sport in your daily regimen for memory improvement
- Movement activity helps increase blood flow throughout your body, including the brain. This will help you to keep your mind alert and strengthen your memory.
- For adults, there is a study conducted by the American Health Institute, it is preferable for a person to exercise walking or any sport with moderate activity such as light jogging for at least 150 minutes a week or 75 minutes of high-effort sports such as brisk walking or jogging.
- It is preferable to distribute the activity during the days of the week and not focus on a specific day.
- If you do not have time to fully exercise during the week, try to at least walk for at least 10 minutes during your day.
Make friends and communicate often
- Socializing with people helps greatly in avoiding symptoms of depression or stress, both of which help in impairing memory performance. Always devote part of your time in communicating with those close to you, your friends, and anyone you feel comfortable communicating with, especially if you live alone in order to strengthen memory and improve the psychological state.
- If you are invited to any event in which you gather with friends, such as going out or having lunch together, do not explain the lack of time. You did this because of the positive effects on your health and memory.
Organize your time and work
- You will be more likely to forget things if your house is messy and your private notes are disorganized. Dedicate a blog aimed only at writing tasks, appointments, and things that you need in this blog, calendar, or even on your smartphone calendar. It may be strange, but try to say the tasks that you record in a voice that you hear, as this helps to stabilize the matter and strengthen the memory!
- Keep your to-do blog always up-to-date and get rid of the tasks that you have done and completed.
- Allocate a fixed and specific place for your wallet, your keys, and the things you use daily.
- Get rid of all your distractions, do not do too many things at the same time. Focusing on what you’re doing will allow you to remember it whenever you need to.
Keep your mind active to strengthen your memory
- It is also a good idea to do a movement or sports activity in order for your body to be healthy, to do a mental activity that helps in strengthening the memory, and also for your memory to be active and constantly alert – and it can reduce the risk of forgetting things.
- Try crossword puzzles, read a section in the newspaper that you used to constantly skip, take an alternate path when you return home, or try volunteer work, and so on.
Try intelligence games and tricks
- If you are not used to challenging your brain with all the new information, it will be more prone to lethargy, which leads to a lack of memory strengthening.
- One of the ways to challenge your brain is through games of intelligence and tricks. You can play these games on the Internet such as Lumosity.com.
- Multitasking is something that has existed since ancient times and now it is an important feature, but on computers and phones, however, people are required in many times to carry out multiple tasks at the same time. In general, multitasking is often constraining you and making you slower, more prone to mistakes and thus the chances of forgetting.
- Research has found that it takes about 8 seconds for your brain to install a piece of information in memory, so if you are talking on the phone and carrying a number of objects when you place the car keys, you are more likely to not remember where you left them.
Learn a new skill that helps you improve memory
- Paying attention to useful and valuable activities that help in strengthening and revitalizing the nervous system while resisting all symptoms of stress-related diseases, reduces the risks of aging, helps health in general, and strengthens memory in particular.
- A general element in improving brain performance is doing something encouraging and has added value to your life and your preoccupation with taking on something new.
- In other words, the skill should be important to you, entertaining, and attractive to you.
Monitor your health and chronic diseases
Do not neglect your health if you suffer from chronic diseases, and follow the recommendations of your treating doctor, including depression or kidney and gland problems.
The more you care about your health, the more capacity your memory can perform.
In addition, reviewing your doctor periodically in order to check the medications you need, due to the presence of drugs that have a direct effect on memory.
Exercises that help improve memory
Below is a summary of a set of memory strengthening exercises that will help a lot of course while following the above-mentioned methods to strengthen your memory.
Read long articles or books slowly and carefully
A number of sites offer long topics, such as Longreads.com, that help you read slowly, which contributes to better memory performance.
Try to be curious
Of course, not on the people, but on the news, science, culture and everything around you that should arouse your curiosity to know more about it.
Exercising to listen carefully and not to interrupt quickly
Try to listen carefully and with focus when talking to your friends and co-workers.
There are many concentration exercises that help raise the level of concentration in a person, such as focusing on smells and distinguishing them, or focusing on a specific routine (slowly opening and closing the fist) and controlling instincts such as hunger and many others.
Memorizing and memorizing
Try to memorize anything like the Holy Quran, a letter or a scientific article, for example, which is a good way to train the brain muscle.
Yoga exercises help to clear the mind that is distracted and crowded with a lot of thoughts and expel the negative energy.
Focus on personal motivation for the better
You must keep your mind busy with positive things and goals that must be achieved in the short and long term. Conserving energy and motivation is not an easy thing, so you must train yourself and remind yourself of all the goals that must be achieved so that you do not lose motivation.
Arranging your thoughts and goals in lists is important and helps to achieve goals effectively, which is what helps you to strengthen memory in its order and get rid of random thoughts in your head!
Keep your focus for a longer period (Attention Span)
You should maintain your focus for a longer period and not let anything easily distract you, such as times of lectures or meetings.
Counting and statistics
You can focus on counting your steps while walking, counting stairs, or counting the seconds needed to reach the elevator. The process of counting and counting helps to strengthen memory effectively.