Saudi Arabia could drastically limit numbers at the annual Haj pilgrimage to prevent a further outbreak of coronavirus after cases in the country topped 100,000, sources familiar with the matter said on Monday.
Some 2.5 million pilgrims visit the holiest sites of Islam in Makkah and Medina for the week-long Haj, a once-in-a-lifetime duty for every able-bodied Muslim who can afford it. Official data show Haj and the lesser, year-round Umrah pilgrimage earn the kingdom about $12 billion (Dh44 billion) a year.
Saudi Arabia asked Muslims in March to put Haj plans on hold and suspended Umrah until further notice.
Two sources familiar with the matter said authorities are now considering allowing “only symbolic numbers” this year, with restrictions including a ban on older pilgrims and additional health checks.
With strict procedures, authorities think it may be possible to allow in up to 20 per cent of each country’s regular quota of pilgrims, another source familiar with the matter told Reuters.
Some officials are still pushing for a cancellation of the Haj, expected to start in late July.
The government media office and a spokesman for the Haj and Umrah ministry did not respond to requests for comment.
Limiting or cancelling Haj will further pressure government finances hit by the plunge in oil prices and the pandemic. Analysts predict a severe economic contraction this year.
The kingdom halted international passenger flights in March, and on Friday it reimposed a curfew in Jeddah, where haj flights land, after a spike in infections in the city.
In 2019, around 19 million pilgrims attended Umrah while Haj drew 2.6 million. An economic reform plan of Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman aims to increase Umrah and Haj capacity to 30 million pilgrims annually and generate 50 billion riyals (Dh49 billion) of revenues by 2030.
Last year the Ministry of Hajj and Umrah has announced the success of the operational plan of 2019 Hajj with the departure of the last flight of pilgrims.
More than 1.8 million pilgrims returned safely to their countries after completing their pilgrimage, in a complete integrated system of services that were provided by the government of King Salman and Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman.
Vice Minister of Hajj and Umrah Dr. Abdulfattah Mashat said the program of grouping departure pilgrims through land entry points, seaports, and airports were done in cooperation with the government and private sector to ensure a smooth flow of pilgrims.