Allergy is an irritating condition in human body. Allergy is almost incurable; so, most important for us is to stop them in their tracks. “Most of the patients have indoor allergies”, according to Dr. Nabeel Farooqui, Allergist at the Sate Ohio University Wexner Medical Center. “As it turns out, most of these patients have indoor allergies, which can be hard to escape. Frankly, there are a lot of indoor allergy myths that sufferers buy into which can actually make them feel worse”, he added.
Hypoallergenic pets is a myth:
Many patients search for getting a hypoallergenic pet, because they are allergic to pet dander. Wrong! These special pets are one of the biggest myths in the allergy world. In short, hypoallergenic pets don’t really exist. Most people do not realize that it is not the animal’s fur that causes their allergy problems — it is their dander, or tiny flecks of protein found in their skin, saliva and urine. “I tell my patients to wash their pets at least once or twice a week and use a HEPA air filter in their bedroom, which should be a pet-free zone”, Dr. Farooqui said.
Bedding is another myth:
Another myth is that feather pillows and down comforters cause allergic reactions. This has led to a boom in sales of down alternatives and “anti-allergen” pillows. However, if you test the two types of pillows side by side, this myth is quickly put to rest. As it turns out, you don’t need to get rid of your feather bedding. It’s more likely that you’re allergic to the dust mites in the bedding rather than the feathers themselves.
Studies show down alternatives can make things worse because loosely woven casings allow dust mites, dander and mold spores to collect inside. Whether it’s down or synthetic, look for high-quality, tightly-woven casings and wash bedding regularly in hot water.
Black mold happens to be yet another myth:
The third myth this article would like to dispel is about the black mold in your basement, bathrooms and showers. You hear stories all the time about toxic, even fatal reactions due to black mold. These reports are often based on weak evidence and have not been confirmed in studies. It is possible for black mold to cause allergic reactions and irritate your nasal or lung symptoms, but the amount normally found in homes has not been proven to be toxic. If you find some black mold in your house, you can make a cleaning solution with bleach and water to remove it.
“The best advice I can offer allergy sufferers is to work with a board-certified allergist to determine exactly what you are allergic to and the best course of treatment. I’ve seen many patients who think they’re allergic to one thing when it turns out to be something completely different”, Dr. Farooqui advised.